Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lists


I have to get up early tomorrow, so I'll make this quick...

In sum:
1) I took care of my banking stuff; all I need now is to wire some more money from my home account.
2) I got a UK phone number (new SIM card)... but my phone's complaining about it being locked to the old network, and my mom got me some code that's supposed to undo that, but it's giving me trouble now... so I'm going to have to go back to the store later and get them to try it.
3) I roamed the National Gallery for a bit; most notably, I saw some famous Turner & Renoir paintings to my liking.
4) I got a sandwich (chicken & bacon, if you must know) and a ginger beer, went to St. James Park, and splurged on a £1.50 chair-for-rent (comfier than grass and more available than benches), where I had my little lunch & fiddled with my new SIM card.

Impressions:
I wasn't familiar with the more northern portion of London (where BUNAC's office is; I had to go there before heading to the bank); it was less remarkable than the more familiar parts of the city (Westminster, the West End, Kensington, etc.), but I figured it out soon enough (thanks to a lovely little pocket map book Gill loaned me). Going to the other areas was a different sort of familiar experience. I'd been to these parts before on vacation, and this time, being solo and with particular goals in mind... well, I don't know exactly how to put it. Maybe I felt a little better than the tourists this time. Maybe I felt a little more free, knowing that I didn't have to stop at every landmark; six months is a lot of time, and I can admire/take pictures of these wonderful things any time I want to now. And by the end of the day, I was happy to make the commute back to Hertfordshire. In Gill & Kevin's house, I can relax, watch some TV, and have some tea. They're more than gracious hosts, and I enjoy their company.

Tomorrow's plan:
1) Wake at 7 AM.
2) Leave the house at about 8 (Gill has some places to go in the morning) & take the train from St. Albans' to Farringdon Road.
3) Kill a little time in London before arriving at BUNAC at 10:30 AM.
4) ??? (I don't know what all the Orientation stuff will lead to.)
5) Possibly take care of the phone thing.
6) Get back to St. Albans before 7.

No comments: