Thursday, October 16, 2008

First BUNAC Pub Meet

It’s been a long time waiting to get to this exact spot – on a bed, in my pyjamas, having just finished a cup of tea and a couple chocolate chip shortbread biscuits. Most of the day was pretty monotonous – I went to BUNAC for little more than 40 minutes, and then went to the British Library for about four or five hours to use its wireless connection, during which I had a berry tea with lemon cake (which was delicious, by the way – very moist and filled with a layer of lemon crème). Many, many emails were sent. I’d left my headphones at home (oops), so the time passed very boringly. I had hoped to make time to visit a flat in Bow, but it got late quicker than I’d realized, so it’s been rescheduled for tomorrow.

By the time I left the library, it was after 6:30. I knew that Gill was busy, so even if I’d left then, she wouldn’t have been able to meet me at the station. Kevin wouldn’t have been able to meet with me, either, since he was to be working later than usual. Obviously, it was too late for the buses, too, so whether I left then or not I’d have still needed to get a taxi home. Tonight there was a monthly BUNAC pub-meet at the Cantaloupe pub in Shoreditch. Normally, I’d just skip out on social events (fear of awkward moments, or something like that), but I gave Nicole a call, and she was planning on going, so I’d at least know one person there.

I hopped on the Northern Line, which took me to Old Street, and from there I figured out the directions to Charlotte St. in my A-Z book. I was a little bit early… So I walked a block or two up the street and back. Not much time was killed. I went inside, had a look around, and didn’t spot anyone familiar. I stood around the bar, trying to occupy myself with my cell phone, sending texts and reading old ones. At that moment, I would have preferred a nice quiet café with a cup of tea and a peaceful corner to read in, and I considered what a wallflower I must seem. Maybe it was just paranoia, but I felt some eyes were on me. (Pathetic!) I went downstairs – a lot of them, actually – to the bathroom. I tried to kill some more time, but it just wouldn’t roll over and die. I found myself upstairs and feeling awkward again… I gave Nicole a call. Fortunately, she was just out of the tube and on her way. (There is a god!) I bought myself a pint of Guinness and got a booth in the restaurant area.

The rest of the evening went very sociably; everything seemed to fall into place. I can thank Nicole for that – she got me started in talking to a couple people, which led me to speak to more people, etc. etc., until a sort of circle-of-friends was created. I talked to some people more often than others – notably Katie (from Texas; moved to Portland, OR) the two Andrews (both Canadians), Stephan (a German photographer), Chris (another Canadian!), and Andrea (from Chicago – a fellow journalism grad). Katie’s living with her boyfriend’s family, but seems quite keen to move out – she and I may even look into sharing a flat. One of the Andrews (the one not from Vancouver), Katie and I made an agreement to go to a concert together. Oh, and Katie wants to go for tea at the Orangery this week, and Nicole wants to go, too. All sorts of plans have been made. The time passed so well. We discussed travelling (Vancouver Andrew is the most well-traveled of the group – he’s spent months all over Europe; Katie spent three months in Italy last year), US elections (I had my voter information with me – it made a marvellous conversation piece), Briticisms (e.g., How does one answer to “cheers”? It’s not exactly “thank you”, so “you’re welcome” isn’t exactly correct… The consensus seemed to be that one must mumble awkwardly in response.), Canada, hostel life (Nicole’s at war with some noisy Croatians in her room), and so on. As slowly as the minutes seemed to drag at the beginning, the time had passed so smoothly and enjoyably afterward. It got late – it was after 11 PM by the time we’d noticed most of the room had cleared and we were on our way. A number of us took the tube to King’s Cross together; we didn’t split till I headed for St. Pancras to catch the 1st Capital Connect to St. Albans.

In a way, tonight reminded me of an evening in Cambridge a few years ago. The one night I didn’t meet up with Laura, I went with some fellow Gonville & Caius students to The Anchor, on Silver Street by the Cam. I don’t even remember how it was any of us got talking… only that during dinner previously, I was talking to Takeshi and someone else (I can’t forget that conversation – I retold Laura most of it afterwards; he was so anxious to ask me questions about Los Angeles and all the glitzy stuff of Hollywood; his friend – also Japanese – had to remind him that Universal Studios existed in Japan, too), and later someone mentioned going to the pub… I hadn’t arranged to meet Laura anywhere that time, so I just went along. We had cranberry spritzers on the lawn outside the pub (we took pictures of each other then, but I have no idea what became of them), and went inside when it got dark. Most of the time we chatted about cross-culture differences… there were a number of backgrounds sitting around that table in the corner; among these I remember Scottish, German, and possibly French. It was the first time I’d ever had a truly international conversation, with such variety. It’s one thing to come from a sort of “melting pot” city like Los Angeles, but it’s another entirely to be in a far-off country, making conversation about other countries. I don’t very well remember all the topics that passed over that table (I do remember once disagreeing with a German girl that some German words are easy to figure out in English – well if “garten” doesn’t sound a lot like “garden”, what on Earth else could it be??), but I remember the atmosphere to be so warm, easygoing, and full of laughter. Not much unlike tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems like stuff is starting to come together a bit more for you. I can imagine that your hosts might be a bit frustrated that you're still there and eating their food = p But its understandable why it's taking so long.. living in another country isn't the easiest thing.

Glad you are getting along with your BUNAC buddies.. but I still better be your best friend!!!