Thursday, October 2, 2008

The First Morning

I’ve just woken up with that wonderful “Where am I?” feeling. It was nice to remind myself of where I am and where I’ll be going today. (Appropriately, I’d set my phone’s alarm clock to play “London Calling”.) I put on the radio to sort of wake myself up a little more, and I listened to BBC 4 – they were talking about Greek philosophy and Byzantine history. I can’t stress how much nicer it is to hear about that sort of stuff, compared to the talk radio at home. (No wonder my mom wakes up with a headache when my dad’s clock radio goes off!) To clinch the overall feeling, I opened the curtain and looked out on a vivid section of “this scepter’d isle” – a green field, thick hedges, and a few backyards (aka, “gardens”). There’s a largish brick building a ways beyond, with a full parking lot; and beyond the yards there’s a small road that’s frequented every couple minutes or so by some people out to catch the morning air.

Well, I need some breakfast. And some fresh clothes. Today will doubtless be a full one.

… Note: I’ve JUST gotten a wireless connection (at last!). My usual Firefox Google homepage has actually recognized that I’m in the UK – how cool is that!!

1 comment:

Rex said...

This sounds amazing and exciting! I'm really glad you have a safe and uneventful flight - the kind preferred! ;)
How's the weather? ^^

I love the cheesy London things Americans like us cling to. When I was taking the "Chunnel" (the train that runs under the english channel from paris to france) I totally listened to london calling! XD

Go have a blast!