Monday, March 23, 2009

Pick pocketed!

11 AM exactly… Jesus. I’d hoped to wake at 9 and get an earlier start. I don’t exactly have a reliable alarm anymore, now that my cell phone is gone. Yesterday, I think I was pick pocketed. I was trying to refrain from taking ever more pictures on my regular camera, so I snapped a couple pics of an interesting statue and some fountains in the Port Olimpic area using my phone. But then I decided to switch to my camera anyway, so I pocketed the phone and thought nothing of it till about 10-15 minutes later, when I wanted to make a short video on the beach. At that point, it was no longer in my pocket. Determined not to panic (as I’ve learned from the many times I’ve lost my lens cap), I sat down and emptied my purse and my jeans and coat pockets. Nada. I retraced my steps. Still nada. I asked around, approaching front desks and uniformed types. And you know what? It was still missing. I even tried calling myself from a payphone once, but it just kept ringing.

Did you know that it’s awfully hard to find a police officer in Barcelona? It’s a wonder crime isn’t even worse. After some searching the area, I only located a security guard, and he couldn’t help me at all. Finally, a receptionist at a local hospital gave me directions to a police station somewhere in the area of La Rambla. When I *finally* got there (the first two busses in that direction failed to stop… then I ended up going down a creepy road where I was leered and begged at… finally, some people pointed the way and after a few vague interpretations, I made it), I called home to make sure my phone was disconnected, and then set to answering lots of questions about my basic identity details, filling out loads of paperwork. I had to sit in a waiting room, awaiting a copy of the form so I could use it for insurance purposes if I need to. They told me I’m highly unlikely to ever get my phone back. I noticed a little black market activity going on behind the fruit and meat market on La Rambla the other day (I even snapped a picture, to their great annoyance)… I wonder if I’d find it there.

Well, that’s just the most distressing part of yesterday. I did have a marvelous time at the Sagrada Famila. It’s the strangest/most amazing building in Barcelona… it’s like a giant pointy sand castle. I took loads of pictures, many of which I think came out rather nicely.

So. It’s just about 11:30 AM. Gotta dress and go. I’d like to see Park Güell today.

2 comments:

Alexv said...

Did the police ever get back to you?

Kristine Keller said...

Nope, they never did. I wonder what happened to that phone... it had a lot of interesting videos and voice memos on it.