Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Can't Believe I'm in Paris!

Currently: In bed, light switched on, curtains drawn. In St. Christopher’s Inn hostel, Paris. Oui, the City of Light!

Unlike the previous night, I got back before 3 AM this time! (Sort of a long story.)

My day in brief: Today I accidentally slept in a little long, so I didn't get to do as much as I'd hoped, but I still had a nice time. I mostly explored the "Latin" area. Notre Dame was beautiful – I took plenty of pictures. It was evening when I saw it, so unfortunately I couldn't go inside then. But I'll certainly be back. I had dinner right across the street from it – onion soup and hot chocolate.

Reasons I do not like the Metro (and I miss the Tube!):
  1. It's too complicated to navigate!
  2. I bought a week-long pass, but it only starts working next Monday. And I can't buy day-long passes; only tickets for each trip (and they cost the same whether you take a bus or the Metro).
  3. Once, I got on a train going the wrong direction and got off at the next stop to change sides, only to find that at that station I had to exit and pay again to get on!
  4. There are lots and lots of RATS!
  5. The stations are very dirty and not very interesting to look at.
  6. I haven't seen a single musician performing... but I DID see a couple homeless men that did a funny version of hip-hop dancing.

Plans: Louvre tomorrow? Also, I’ll try to call Chloe again (I got her voice mail last time). Maybe we can meet for dinner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

St. Christopher's is the best! Had a great time there and in Paris. The Metro is a little strange. I don't remember seeing any rats, but the fact that I had to open the doors on the trains myself was funny.

Make sure you take the free walking tours of Paris. There is information in the lobby of St. Christopher's.

Good luck finding your dream in London!

Anonymous said...

How was Disneyland Paris? I hope you took tons of pictures for me! I am anxiously waiting for you to get home... and the bad news is you are stuck with me for friday and saturday of your return. HA! You are booked, biatch!! Trust me tho, I missed you tons, and I have some awesome shit planned to welcome you home... so I really hope that you can get some sleep on the plane back. And no, I'm sorry but the nature of the time won't let it be put off.. but it'll be worth popping a few mochas...