Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Homecoming (A Belated Post)

Where am I? It’s dark, a little muggy, and very late. Certainly not in the last location I blogged from. Must be my bedroom back home in California (at least the fan is on full-blast, and my bed is very comfy – I’ve got a new memory foam mattress cover).


Allow me to give you a little summary of the time spent since my last entry…

Back home, the old routines have returned, for better and for worse. It’s nice to be with family and old friends again; we’ve had quite a few mini-adventures since, for which I’m grateful. I missed being able to hug my dogs and play with them every day. Even just being able to enjoy all the goodies from Trader Joe’s is a well-appreciated indulgence. I’ve kept myself occupied in a productive way – I took up an internship as a production manager for a documentary (now in hiatus) – but at present, there are too few things to keep me on regular hours, which is a bit of a downer. I’ve picked up a couple good habits, though – I’ve joined the YMCA (I’m going every other day) and I’ve just about completed my first knitted scarf (I’m making another for my grandma next).

Occupation-wise, I’m not happy. I’ve been applying to every worthwhile position on the ‘net I can think of, in bursts of can-do-spirit and bouts of laziness. I’ve done a few small things, however. A sweet older couple (friends of the family) paid me to tutor them on their computer; I’ve got a well-paid house/pet-sitting gig this weekend; plus, I’ve finally got a good number of photos submitted to a stock photography website (no sales yet, however). It’s not terrible, but I’ve still got a way to go.

My dad has been pushing the idea of me continuing CSUN into grad school, studying Anthropology. Because of a few less-than-wonderful grades on my transcript, I must take the GRE test, so I’ve got some studying to do now (mainly math). Honestly, I’m not entirely sure what I’d like to do for my thesis; I simply enjoy the field, and I’ve been pretty good at it thus far. I’ll likely do something within cultural anthropology (though I’ll be tempted to take a few more classes in archaeology). And then after grad studies… Well, time will tell.  Times are difficult enough that I’m becoming more flexible by the minute.

In other news… My grandma was hospitalized, underwent chemotherapy, and now lives in a nursing home in Santa Monica. She’s going through physical therapy in order to get herself walking independently once more (she walked into the hospital and came out atrophied – I can’t tell you how furious my mom was at her doctors). It’s a very long story.


Well now I think I’ve said enough. If I keep at this much longer, the sun will be rising and once I get to sleep, I’ll be doomed to wake at some depressingly afternoon-y hour. I’m set up for a late wake-up as it is.

I’m not sure about the future of this blog… Its purpose has already been met, as the description should have made clear. I wish I were back in London now, only with a full-time job this time.

Sorry I haven’t filled in more details about the Paris and Barcelona trips… perhaps I’ll do a little of that from time to time.

No comments: