Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Few Good Days

I’ve had a few really good days, even though the situation in general hasn’t been great.

On Friday, I went to the British Museum (I was in awe for most of the time, and I only covered a tip of the iceberg; I need to go back and see more) went to The Strand in search of an elusive tea at Twinings (still didn’t find it; I was looking for a summer blend that I became addicted to in Disney World and never saw again), ate a meat pie (a Cornish pasty, to be specific) in front of the supposed location of Sweeney Todd’s barber shop, explored the crypt at St. Bride’s Church, had a roast hog sandwich (with Venezuelan hot cocoa!) underneath the London Eye, and walked all the way home via the scenic route through St. James and by Buckingham Palace whilst listening to the Sweeney Todd soundtrack on my iPod two times in a row. I got loads of fabulous pictures.


On Saturday (Valentine’s Day), I went to Trafalgar Square to witness a Guinness world record attempt for the most couples kissing (there were quite a few people, but they didn’t exactly fill the Square), though my best photos came of the street performers and artists. I ended up chatting with an older American gentleman standing next to me for a very long time; he’s traveled the world on business, and he had some interesting stories to tell. I thought I’d have enough time to go home to switch shoes and drop off my camera, but, well, I didn’t. I went straightaway to the Highgate Cemetery after that, where I volunteered in the landscaping working party for the second time; it was a little less tiring this time, but it was still very satisfying. I’m planning on going to the next one on March 1st.

Monday was less eventful, but pleasant. I slept in (unintentionally), but in the evening, Agneta, Giulia and myself had a cozy time watching Pleasantville. I’d ordered the DVD on Amazon after the film became a topic of conversation some time before, and the craving to see it became ever stronger; besides, it’s a great film. I think they both really enjoyed it. To make the occasion all the cozier – sort of slumber-party style (we were in our jammies, after all) – I splurged and bought sweets and soda for everyone: Jaffa cakes, white chocolate, Turkish delight, pretzels with Nutella, coke (mainly for Agneta; it still tastes like cough syrup to me), and sparkling apple juice (not quite Martinelli’s, but very good). And with the lights dimmed, candles lit and fleece blankets spread, the evening was just made. We chatted late into the night after that. When Giulia went to bed, Agneta and I doodled by candlelight, and talked at length about the main questions we ask ourselves, and how our minds work.

Today… Tuesday, I went to Camden High Street for an appointment to get my National Insurance Number, at 9:30 AM. A little early for my taste, but it was over and done much quicker than I thought it would be, in just over 15 minutes. I told Giulia I’d join her with Sabrina in a trip to Ikea around noon, but I still had plenty of time. I’d never been in that area before, so I just wandered. At first, I was unimpressed. It was as dodgy as I’d heard it was, and there wasn’t much life going on. Eventually I came upon a channel with a path running by it; remembering that the same channel wound past Regent’s Park, I headed upstream. In probably less than ten minutes, my entire perspective of Camden had changed – mainly due to the Horse Tunnel Market. My first view was from the channel, and it was pretty interesting at that point. As I ventured ever further in, it went on to become by far the most impressively eccentric market I've ever seen! I actually wore out my cell phone battery taking snapshots. Long story short, I bought two plaid, woolen skirts on sale for £15, plus a really cool Austrian felt hat from a vintage store that played 80s and soul music; a very nice French girl with short, brown hair helped me with sizes. I also got a California license plate (used!) and some vintage-style postcards inside a tunnel that used to be for horses way-back-when (the horses' stalls remained). I’m planning on going back with Kate later this week.

It’s getting late and I want to watch some “Pete & Pete” and perhaps play a little “Caesar II” before going to sleep (I’ve been in such a nostalgic mood lately), so I’ll wrap this up: I got a ton of candles and another coffee press (the glass from the previous one went missing) at Ikea with Giulia and Sabrina (Claudio’s sister), and saw a Japanese-style version of A Midsummer Night’s Dream with Kate at the Southwark Playhouse by the London Bridge (it was also her first time in the area, so we strolled across the bridge, to the Tower, and back before the play started). I very much enjoyed the play – it was a clever blend of Shakespeare with traditional Japanese styles, customs and language; the actors were very charismatic, too. I might even see it again. After that, Kate and I went to a pub next to the theatre (it had some kind of nautical name, and there were loads of fancy knots in frames all over the place); she didn’t have anything (her taste for alcohol is limited to very few options), but I had a Scotch whisky (Bell’s) – which I seem to have developed a better taste for since Scotland, by the way – and we chatted about anime and conventions for most of the time until heading home.



Things that suck…

1) I still haven’t found a job. Not even a crappy one.

2) The internet in the flat is still non-existent (for three weeks now), so I still have to go to McDonald’s for a connection.

3) Cristina (the landlord’s stand-in… I’ve never met the real landlord) has been lying about there being a bi-monthly cleaning lady this whole time. And we still pay for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say hello! That totally stinks about the cleaning person, although I can believe it!

I am also living in London looking for a job. I am from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

I like reading your blog, it's always cool to read about what other people think about living here.
Cheers,
Rhea