Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Gaza Protests Were Outside My Window!

I was in the middle of doing a photo shoot in my flat (the first in months!), and we got a great view of a HUGE protest outside. At first we only saw police cars (loads of 'em!) followed by a couple dozen protesters. So upon first impression, I thought the police had seriously overestimated their numbers. But then a phalanx of marchers came into view, waving their flags/signs and chanting replies to a muffled chant-leader (it sounded something like "mmmffmm!!!" "PEACE!" "mmfffmrrrmm?!?!" "NOW!!!") and an endless tide of protesters and police followed for a good long time.

I took a lot of pictures, leaning out the window -- and jeeze, was it cold! It even started to snow at some point! (Note the snowfall in the third-from-the-last image.)

My Journalism background kicked in a little... My first reaction was to call up the London papers and see if I could sell some of my photos. So, while my model, make-up artist and her friend waited, I rang up some editors and got some email addresses. Chances are they won't be run (I think that's a certainty, as they would have responded back by now), especially since I didn't get any fire or violence in my photos. I found out about that stuff later. If it had all ended peacefully, my uniquely-vantaged photos might have had a better chance in print.









No comments: