Friday, December 5, 2008

Nah, needs garlic!

This probably sounds like a really silly thing to miss, but last night I dreamt I had DVR again and thought it was the most awesome thing to be able to rewind TV. I also dreamt about a whodunnit mystery in a monastery, but that's beside the point.

Also, here's a list of food-related things I wish I had in London:
  • eggnog
  • pumpkin pie
  • sourdough bread (I always have to settle for "farmer's bread")
  • clam chowder in a bread bowl
  • avocado (they're here, but not quite the same; you definitely won't find it being sold off the backs of trucks!)
  • buttermilk
  • Trader Joe's misc.
Restaurants:
  • PF Chang's
  • Brent's Deli
  • food court at The Getty
  • Marie Calender's
I have found a few things that remind me of home. I found a number of foods that I'm used to getting at the Asian supermarkets in California - e.g., gummy fruit (no lychee, but they had my second-favorite: melon), Pocky (!!!), and the same brands of Tofu and soy paste. My "tea cabinet" has been filling up, too. The top shelf has acquired a reasonable variety since I moved in. I'd still love some "Paradise" iced tea, however. Also, I've tried to make some oven fries like my mom's, but they weren't quite there. I didn't even have garlic salt - I couldn't find it in stores anywhere, so I had to make do with garlic powder and salt (which, as Wikipedia will tell you, is not the same).

No comments: