Monday, December 1, 2008

I Never Knew Before London That They Still Made Radiators and Hot Water Bottles...

I'm in an extremely cozy spot at the moment... face-first on my bed, using my teddy bear as a pillow and enjoying the new-found bliss of having a furry hot water bottle. (I didn't know they still made those till I got here!) When I woke up, it was already too late to meet my appointment… I was due for an interview for getting my National Insurance number at 9:30. I woke at 10. Anyway, among the list of things I’m meant to bring, the letter mentioned a letter from my employer… and I haven’t got that taken care of.

Speaking of which, I haven’t really said anything about my job, have I? It’s nothing special. Not what I would choose immediately, anyway. I’m employed at a Vietnamese restaurant called Pho in the Westfield London mall. It’s close, the people working there are quite nice, and it pays relatively well. That being said, if I could find something more career-appropriate, I would still quit at the drop of a hat. At least my dad’s not talking about deadlines and the possibility of coming home anymore.

Other things…

Yesterday I took a train to St. Albans once again. I helped out at Poppy’s and Dasha’s 5th birthday party. There were 42 kids on the invite list, and it was a “princesses and pirates” theme (though mostly princesses were in attendance). It was loud and crazy most of the time (and sugar levels were high), and it made me want to be 5 all over again. Gill asked me to be a sort of “paparazzi” and take lots of pictures, and I did, but I didn’t realize that there would be a celebrity in the room. In fact, I didn’t realize it until after the party. Back at the house, Gill mentioned that Nicola, one of the parents who stayed to help clean up, played one of the Doctors’ companions on Doctor Who in the 80s. (I don’t think she’s in any of my photos, btw… I’ve looked, and it’s mostly kids and the people I already knew. But I checked Wikipedia and yup, it’s her.) Anyway, it was nice to be back in Wheathampstead for the evening. It felt so cozy and normal, more akin to being actually home. I stayed while Poppy was opening her presents (including mine – I gave her The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales; it’s still one of my favorites) and enjoyed some tea and conversation. When Kevin took Abby’s friend home, he dropped me off at the train station.



Well, I think I ought to roll out of bed now. I’d like to find a spice shop and maybe pay a visit to that big Japanese grocery store I heard about. It’ll be noon in a little over 20 minutes, and by then I will probably be annoyed with myself and feel less inclined to go anywhere.

(Wow, is it REALLY December 1?!?)

No comments: