Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving - Annotations

The following are some notes typed before and after Thanksgiving; they say very little about the day itself and the events that transpired. Perhaps there will be a part 2 containing more.

4:28 AM (Thursday)


I have no rational reason for being awake now, as ever it’s been when I’m conscious after 4 in the morning. I’ve been doing some internet browsing… getting inspired by some photos on Flickr, writing out ideas (outlining general concepts and ideas for photo shoots), writing emails, streaming from one Wikipedia article to the next, and generally accomplishing no one thing in particular but getting a lot of ideas nonetheless. I’ve got to be at work (yes, work!) at 10 AM, and my alarm is set for 8. I’ve got Thanksgiving plans, too. So I’ve got every reason to be asleep right now.

There’s a lovely view outside, however. Oh, it’s the same landscape I described before – the unlit park, a spire or two on the distant horizon, loads of brick buildings, chimneys, and Georgian facades. Double-deckers and red phone boxes, too. I appreciate it every time I look outside; the total London-ness is ever-present. Just this moment, though, a few more stars are visible than usual. Most of the time it’s overcast or too obscured by smog and city lights, but this time I can make out Orion’s Belt. When was the last time I did that? Wheathampstead? California? I’d like to fix the view to my memory, even with the unseemly empty lot, on the corner below (it adds some extra dimension).

The birds are already calling.

9:24 AM (Thursday)

Jeeze… How I hate to get up in the morning. In six minutes I have to leave. So much for needing a shower and a cup of coffee! And now my laptop’s ability to keep a connection with the power cord has become annoyingly elusive. Great.

Out of the blue, I feel like watching Beetlejuice right now. It would sure be lovely to call in sick and watch movies all day. I should have requested the whole holiday off.

5:14 AM (Friday)

I need to sleep. I really, really need to sleep. In sum, however: the first part of the day, to put it bluntly, sucked. The second part was lovelier than I could have imagined. There are lots of photos, too (cherry on top). My computer cord’s still annoying, though. I’m not moving it from this position on the floor. At all. Also, the sky’s back to being overcast, but there are some interesting bright wisps being blown across the sky below the ceiling.

No comments: