Sunday, November 9, 2008

Settling In

It’s been about a week since I moved into Porchester Gate, but it feels like I’ve known my flatmates for far longer than that already. It’s quite a big group; there are several bedrooms to fill. We’ve already gone out for dinner, dancing, and clubbing; we’ve had late-night card games and YouTube movie fests into the wee hours; we’ve gone out shopping and out for coffee. It’s like one big international family, with roots in Lithuania, Brazil, France, Italy, and Australia.

Tonight, all but Claudio, Julia and Agneta went out to the Chinawhite club, near Piccadilly Circus. It cost £20 to get in, and we had to be on the guest list, but it was quite an experience. I rarely go to clubs, but in this case, I agreed to go because 1) I was curious, and 2) I enjoy hanging out with my flatmates. It was a really posh place, but it was intimate and cosy, too. It had an overall Eastern theme, with lots of statues, incense and candles. When we arrived, we were almost the only people there (it was around 9:30; Ryan also brought some friends, so our group came to about a dozen or so), but it didn’t take too long for the place to become packed. My favorite room was chock full of cushions and had sparkling stars on the ceiling behind lengths of colored fabric. It was there I tried my first taste of absinthe, mixed in a martini. It was amazingly flavorful… It tasted like a sweet, spicy glass of liquorice. I only recommend it if you really, really like liquorice, and I do.

I’m not much for r&b, or most pop music, but among friends, I make an exception. I also don’t do a lot of dancing, but I had a lot of fun at it. I had a genuinely good time, and it makes me all the more glad that I chose the flat I did.

Being very tired, I’m sorry that I can’t be much more descriptive. It’s going on 4 AM (which is becoming kind of a normal bedtime, unfortunately). We left the club a couple hours ago, and I made 4 grilled cheese sandwiches (burnt them, though… I’m still not used to electric burners), and that’s pretty much it. The rest of the day, I stayed in mostly, but went to the Brompton Cemetery to take pictures, only to find it closed 10 minutes after I got there. I’m still anxious to edit the few photos I took, however.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll probabaly be going to Disneyland at least twice before you get back... and I got to tell you... I wish you would be there! We are going in December... Marilyn's gift to me... and in April for my mother's birthday. She hasn't been there in like 10 years...

Anonymous said...

sounds like you've settled in nicely... & having a great time.