Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Primal Six-Year Old In All of Us

I've just returned from Disneyland, and I had a smashing time (see how I'm already using British-isms? Albeit a bit retro, but still... pre-acclimating!).

Mumsy & I behaved like silly children, regressing to more primal actions -- e.g., giggling, skipping about, singing, stuffing our faces with jelly beans & fudge... We couldn't have gone at a better time; the weather was moderate and the crowds were minimal -- just about every line was at 10 minutes for most of the day! We collected Fast Passes throughout (I think we had about five or six rides lined up before we stopped collecting altogether) and used them only when a few extra minutes were added to the wait times ("What's this?? 20 minutes?!"). I've still got unused Space Mountain passes in my bag now (we went 3 times already). We were so far ahead of the usual schedule, we had time to slow down and do things we don't often do -- like ride the Mark Twain twice in a row at sunset. Because the crowds were so low, there were no Fantasmic performances today, but that's usually just my time to snag another ride or two while the crowds are distracted.

But there was a drawback... and it's a rather serious one in my book. THE HAUNTED MANSION WAS CLOSED. Maybe under different circumstances I'd be less disappointed, but this was my last visit for at least six months, and it's my favorite ride. I usually make a point of riding it at least four times each visit - and each time I loudly sing along to "Grim Grinning Ghosts," trying my best to participate in the "swinging wake." On this particular occasion, the Mansion was closed in preparation of the holiday season. I could see past the walls a bit, and the exterior was already set up. As much as I enjoy the holiday version, I would have really enjoyed a proper sendoff to London with one more trip into the Mansion.

Tomorrow won't be quite so much fun... My mom's going to be busy with loads of financial stuff, and I'll be involved in some of it. Post-Disneyland days are rarely exciting by comparison anyway.

No comments: