Monday, September 29, 2008

Preparations: Part III

So by tomorrow, this time, I'll be waiting for my flight at LAX. As of now, however, I'm sitting on my bed with a laptop on my knees, reading the two dozen or so emails I've received in response to my Gumtree ad looking for a place to rent in Central London. Angel is laying at my feet with her nose pushed into my purse, limp as a bear rug and bleary-eyed. My bedroom in general is a mess -- toppling books and stacks of papers fill my desk, the bed is unmade, clean laundry is piled on a chair, there are unfinished manga on the floor, bags and boxes full of newspapers and magazines, and the air could do with a fresh squirt of Fabreeze.

I haven't packed a single thing yet, but I've got a list to prevent me from forgetting things. Warm-weather clothes, cold-weather clothes, electronics, photography equipment, toiletries, books, notebooks, etc... Somehow I've got to stuff it all into one 29' bag and keep it under 50lbs. How I'll manage that is yet to be seen.

Uh, oh. Now Angel's giving me the full-on Sad Puppy Look. I must rush to her whilst trying not to feel too guilty for leaving her for 6 months... Oh, puppy! *cries*

1 comment:

Alexv said...

I like your clever blog header!

This anecdote is from twenty years ago, so it may well be out of date, but when me and my fellow exhcange students were at a hostel in Dublin, we were very irritated by not getting much hot water for our showers, and it was only several weeks into our soujourn that we learned that in the UK and Ireland, you have to put coins into a little meter thingie that powers up the hot water heater. Boy, were we surprised.

Also, when a British weather forecaster says that the weather will be "fine" that means in US-speak "cold," and if he says "freshening" that means expect ice on your windows. Even when in paying hotels, the Brits tend to skimp on the heating.